Sunday 23 August 2009

Howling with the wolves!
















I love visiting Lobo Park, near Antequera. Four sub-species of wolves live there in huge enclosures; European Wolves, Canadian Timber Wolves, Alaskan Timber Wolves and the native Iberian Wolves. These are another endangered species, so it is good to know that Lobo Park has a successful breeding programme. It is about 2 hours from my place. There are guided tours every day; Adults 8.50 Euros and Children 5.50.

However, I especially love going there on some Friday or Saturday nights for the Wolf Howling! It is essential to book ahead. A barbeque dinner is served at 8pm, before setting off with Daniel Weigand. He is encyclopedic in his knowledge of wolves - and dispells many myths about them! He will give you the chance to watch their feeding behaviour, and their interaction with him. Visits last until nearly midnight! Magical!

Instead of driving all the way home afterwards, I stay at the nearby Torcal campground. On one occasion my cousin and I had breakfast there with a crowd of Harley Davidson bikers!

1 comment: